Inclusions and exclusions
- A transfer from Rhino Post to Plains Camp at 14h00 on day of arrival
- A transfer from Plains Camp to Rhino Post at approximately 11h00 on day of departure
- Early morning tea/coffee and a light snack before the morning walk
- A morning walk including juice, water and snacks
- Brunch on return from the morning activity at approximately 10h00
- High Tea at 15h30 – substantial sweet and savoury dishes, plus tea, coffee, water or juice
- An afternoon walk and evening game drive including a bottle of water, a sundowner drink (beer, wine by the glass, sherry or a softdrink) and sundowner snacks.
- Bar snacks
- Dinner (served at approximately 20h30) Coffee and Tea after dinner
- All softdrinks, waters, local beers, ciders and wines by the glass in the camp
- Estate wines, spirits and imported beers
- Laundry (this is sent offsite and therefore a 48 hour service)
- Purchases from the curio shop at Rhino Post
- Telephone calls made from Rhino Post on arrival/departure
- Private transfers to and from Plains Camp outside of the stipulated complimentary transfer times
- Conservation Fees payable to Kruger National Park
Facilities and Amenities at Plains Camp Tented Safari Camp
|Description of Facilities / Amenities ||Machaton Private Camp
|Number of suites||3 (sleeps 12)
|Back up Electricity||Yes
|Full bar facilities||Yes
|Swimming Pool ||Yes
|Safes in suite||Yes
|Tea/Coffee Making Facilities (Nespresso machines) ||Yes
|DELUXE, PRESIDENTIAL AND LUXURY SUITES – ADDITIONAL FACILITIES||
|King Size Beds||Yes
PLAINS CAMP TENTED SAFARI CAMP LIFE ENRICHING EXPERIENCES
Plains Camp offers a variety of activities, very different from most at other safari lodges. If it is adventure you are after, look no further. At Plains Camp we are dedicated to getting the Adrenalin pumping!
The camp’s rangers and field guides meet the stringent requirements of South African National Parks,and senior guides hold the highest guiding qualification possible in South Africa to ensure that wildlife encounters in this African wilderness are exciting, informative, and safe.
plains camp tented safari camp tented suite interior
WALKING SAFARIS AT PLAINS CAMP
Morning walksin the company of armed and experience rangerstake place early to ensure that you return to camp before it gets too hot. In the early morning the bush is most alive as the animals get on with their business before the heat of the day takes its toll. The average morning walk takes 3-5 hours, totalling 5-12km.The terrain is fairly even but comfortable walking shoes are a necessity. It is advisable to walk in long trousers to protect your legs from grass and thorns.Before departure, your guide will issue you with back or hip-packs to carry, containing water and fruit juice.The assistant trail guide carries a first-aid kit,as well as snacks for a refreshment break duringthe walk.Experiencing Africa from this perspective, whilst feeling its pulse under your feet, is a thrill like noother. The anticipation of a possible sighting of one of the majestic Big Five, will keep the adrenalin flowing.
Your ranger will teach you astonishing secrets of the wilderness, and point out the intricacies of nature, both its fauna and flora. The scents and sounds of the bush will awaken your senses, and sightings such as that of the highly endangered white rhino, are experiences which will stay with you for as long as you live.Encounter animals in their natural habitat on their terms and knowing that these activities are not harmful to nature, makes this experience even more memorable. A percentage of your spend also goes directly to the conservation of this pristine wilderness.
Upon your return to camp you can enjoy a scrumptious light lunch, after which you can retreat to your tent to while the afternoon away with a great book from the library. Or you can simply laze in the pool while watching the animals quench their thirst at the waterhole. Avid bird watchers can experience a wide variety of feathered friends through the lenses of their binoculars. The choice is yours.
In the late afternoon, after enjoying afternoon tea accompanied by delectable treats, you will be ready to head out on a game drive in an open safari vehicle. As the bush come alive again after the heat of the day, an abundance of thrilling sightings awaits in this wild expanse of wilderness. There will be time to enjoy sun down ers en-route while watching the spectacular African sunset. Then -later -watching the beam of the spotlight as its searches for nocturnal animals in the darkness, is a thrilling experience.Back at camp, you can sit down for a sumptuous safari-inspired dinner around the fire and indulge in pleasant conversation about your day in the bush.
DINING AND CUISINE
The cuisine at Plains Tented Camp is innovative, fresh and delicious. Guests can look forward to a hearty brunch after the morning bush walk. Light lunches and High Teas, accompanied by delectable treats, will appeal to all palates. Scrumptious dinners around the fireplace, complimented by fine wines, will conclude the day’s excitement in the bush to perfection.
The sleep-out decks overlook the Xiteveteve waterhole and is the ultimate bush experience for the more adventurous.This is an activity we offer usually as part of the walking trail experience from Plains Camp or occasionally (by prior arrangement, and by vehicle-not walking) from Rhino Post. Guests sleep on individual sleeping decks, connected by ladders and walkways to one another and the main deck. Dinner is cooked over an open fire.Guests depart on foot from Plains Camp to the platforms,arriving in the early evening carrying a lightweight rucksack containing a change of clothes. Sun downers are then enjoyed on the platforms overlooking a waterhole.
SLEEP OUT DECKS QUICK FACTS
- 4 platforms two mattresses per platform -with sleeping bags, and duvets
- elevated dining area
- 8 guests per sleep-out
- 2 armed rangers per sleep-out
- decks overlook waterhole
- 2 bathrooms with hot showers and flushing toilets.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE that, if the first guest to reserve their trail requests the sleep-out, all subsequent reservations will be required to participate. Likewise, if the first guest to reserve their trail makes it clear that they do not want to do a sleep-out, all subsequent reservations for those dates will be unable to book a sleep-out from Plains Camp.The Plains Camp sleep-outs are weather dependent. Its feasibility is affected not only by rain on the day, but also the day or two prior to the sleep-out,as the decks are situated in a very sensitive ecological area. This area cannot be accessed after heavy rains without a high level of erosion risk to the access road.This is the only lodge in the Kruger National Park offering this unusual accommodation. Because the maximum number of people on a walking safari is limited to eight, we regret we cannot accommodate 3 people in one tent. The third person will have to occupy his/her own tent.
PLAINS TENTED CAMP LOCATION
How to get to Plains Camp, Southern Kruger Park Plains Camp Tented Safari Lodge is situated in the southern part of Kruger National Park, South Africa, only a 20-minute drive from Skukuza. The Kruger National Park is home to a diverse array of wildlife species, from the mighty African elephant and the endangered white and black rhino, to the smallest steenbok. The region is also renowned for its excellent birdlife, boasting more than 500 recorded bird species.
ACCESS BY ROAD
4 x 4 access not required. Kruger National Park has 9 entrances on its South African border and 2 on its Mozambican border. Paul Kruger Gate is the nearest entrance to Rhino Walking Safaris.
Directions from Kruger Gate to Plains Tented Safari Lodge Kruger
- After entering the Kruger Gate(Kruger National Park), drive on for approximately 12 km (7,4 miles).
- Once you reach a four-way stop, turn left (heading in the direction signposted Lower Sabi / Rhino Walking Safaris).
- After approximately 2km (1.2 miles) you will reach a T-junction.
- Turn left and drive about 1km (0.6 miles) up to another four-way crossing.
- Turn right and cross a low water bridge over the Sabi River.
- Travel for 4km (2.5 miles) and cross the bridge over the Sand River.
- You will pass a dirt road on your left, marked“Maroela Loop”, keep going straight on the tarred road. About6km after the first “Maroela Loop” turn-off, you will pass another dirt road on your left, also marked “Maroela Loop”.
- Approximately 1km (0.6 miles) after this second “Maroela Loop”,turn left onto a dirt road signposted“Rhino Walking Safaris”.
- Continue on this dirt road for 2,5km (1,55 miles) and turn left.
- Travel another 2,7km (1, 6 miles) up to Rhino Post Lodge.
- You will get a transfer from Rhino Post Lodge to Plains Tented Camp.
There are daily scheduled flights from Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport (ORTIA) to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA)in Mbombela (Nelspruit). You can also fly directly from Durban or Cape Town. The flight duration from ORTIA to KMIA is about 55 minutes. Transfers between the airport and the camp will be arranged.Private charters are available to Skukuza Airport, with an approximate half-hour road transfer in open safari vehicles, through the Kruger National Park to the lodge.
- Johannesburg to Rhino Walking Safaris via road -7hrs
- Johannesburg to Rhino Walking Safaris via air & road -1hr 30
- Cape Town to Rhino Walking Safaris via air -3hrs
- Mbombela (Nelspruit)to Rhino Walking Safaris via road -2hrs 30
- Rhino Walking Safaris to Thongavia air & road -2hrs 45
- Rhino Walking Safaris to Kosi via air & road -3hrs 45.
GPS Co-Ordinates -24.873248 S 31.656253 E