TERMS & CONDITIONS
Jock Safari Fitzpatrick’s Lodge
Jock Safari Fitzpatrick’s Lodge is the perfect haven for small groups, families and individuals seeking to unwind amidst the natural beauty of the Kruger National Park. The lodge offers three perfectly appointed rooms that also cater for children. Guests can soak up the African sun next to their private pool while appreciating the sounds of the wilderness.
Jock Safari Lodge offers guests two accommodation options namely Jock Safari Lodge & Fitzpatrick’s at Jock in one of the best Big Five habitats in southern Africa.
Our Video is Worth a Thousand Words
Jock Safari Lodge, 6000 hectares of natural landscape withing the Kruger National Park.
The Main Jock Lodge’s architecture oozes an old-worldly charm, and its unobtrusive architecture blends in perfectly with its natural bush surrounds. The rich earthy decor and memorabilia from a bygone era of African exploration, give the lodge its tranquil ambiance. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. It is an opulent space in which to relax and unwind. Dedicated and passionate staff caters to all the needs of the discerning nature lover.
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is the perfect haven for small groups, families and individuals seeking to unwind amidst the natural beauty of the Kruger National Park. The lodge offers three perfectly appointed rooms that also cater for children. Guests can soak up the African sun next to their private pool while appreciating the sounds of the wilderness.
Twelve secluded thatched suites, veiled by lush vegetation and reed walls, offer guests luxurious privacy and tranquility in the bush. Each suite has its own en-suite bathroom, deck with plunge pool, and a sala with day bed.
This palatial haven offers immaculate accommodation and unrestrained luxury to the discerning nature lover.Here guests can experience magnificent sightings of the Big Five -elephant, rhino, buffalo, leopard and lion, as well as of a wealth of other species in the heart of the Kruger National Park–Africa’s most iconic game reserve.
Kruger Jock Safari Lodge is actively involved with numerous conservation and research projects of rare and endangered species such as: black and white rhino, lion, wild dog, Marshall eagle and the ground hornbill. More recently, Jock Safari Lodge was thrilled to be a part of a demographic research study,in conjunction with the Kruger National Park,in to the impact of bovine tuberculosis on lion populations.
Continuing in the spirit in which the Kruger National Park was created, Jock Lodge provides a sanctuary for the bush’s creatures, great and small, and is in fact your very own bush escape for the duration of your special Kruger National Park stay.
Jock Safari – Fitzpatrick’s Lodge
An intimate Kruger Safari Lodge on the edge of the Biyamiti Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is the perfect haven for small groups, families and individuals seeking to unwind amidst the natural beauty of the Kruger National Park.
The lodge offers three perfectly appointed rooms that also cater for children. Guests can soak up the African sun next to their private pool while appreciating the sounds of the wilderness.
Experience a Unique 5 Star Luxury Safari
Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is child-friendly and offers the Kids on Safari program to encourage educational and recreational wildlife activities. Child-minding services are available.
Children are also treated to game drives and a range of other wildlife activities. Guests can also take time out to relax at the Pilgrim’s Rest Relaxation Retreat.
Your Safari Schedule
|Times may vary due to season|
|04h30 / 05h30||Wake up call|
|05h00 / 06h00||Early morning refreshments served|
|05h15 / 06h15||Depart for morning game drive|
|09h00||A continental breakfast buffet and
(plated) hot breakfast is served
|11h00||Requested check-out time|
|12h00||Lunch is served until 14h30|
|13h00 / 14h00||Recommended arrival time|
|15h00 / 15h30||Afternoon tea|
|15h30 / 16h00||Depart for afternoon game drive|
|20h00||Pre dinner drinks|
|20h30||Set menu or Braai/Barbecue dinner is
served - every alternate night
Question: Best Time to Visit Jock Safari Lodge
Answer: May-August and December
Question: Where is Jock Safari Lodge
Answer: Jock Safari Lodge is situated at the confluence of the Mitomeni and Biyamiti rivers in the south-western corner of the iconic Kruger National Park.
More About Jock Safari Fitzpatrick's Lodge
THE STORY OF JOCK SAFARI LODGE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK
The lure of gold brought fortune huntersfrom all corners of the world to Southern Africa. Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, author of the animal classic, Jock of the Bushveld, was one such pioneer. The gold-rich capital of Thula Mela, situated on a hill at the fork of the Limpopo and Lebuvu rivers, 200km north of Jock Safari Lodge, served as the trading hub of Southern Africa. These prospectors had to journey through some of Africa’s most scenic, untamed regions. It is in this area that Jock Safari Lodge is based, with its southern boundary the old Voortrekker route from Delagoa Bayin Mozambique(now Maputo) to the goldfields of the then Old Transvaal interior at Pilgrim’s Rest. Today, the wilderness experience of
these early pioneers remains largely unchanged at Jock Private Lodge.
Guest can still experience the same adrenaline rush when encountering one of the Big Five -lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino -up close and personal.The Jock Safari Lodge Kruger concept was pioneered by the descendants of Sir Percy Fitzpatrick -the Niven family. They used the trust funds of Sir Fitzpatrickin 1982 to fence off and build a lodge, in 1982 to protect the area and its indigenous trees, close to where the story of Sir Percy Fitzpatrick and his dog, Jock took place.Sir Fitzpatrick was educated at Downside Abbey, near Bath (England), and later at St Aidan’s College, Grahamstown, in the Cape Province of South Africa. Upon his father’s death in 1880, he left college in order to support his mother and her family. In 1884 he went to the Eastern Transvaal gold-fields, where he became a jack of all trades -he worked as store man, prospector’s hand, journalist and transport-rider, travelling from Lourenco Marques to Lydenburg and Barberton by ox-wagon.It was in Barberton where he became editor of the Gold Fields News. His adventures during the pioneering days in the Bushveld are vividly described in Jock of the Bushveld, now a South African classic.At bedtime, he used to recount his experiences with his dog, Jock, to his four children.Rudyard Kipling, an intimate friend, took part in these story-telling evenings and persuaded Fitzpatrick to collect the stories in book form. He then searched for a suitable artist to illustrate the book and came across Edmund Caldwell, whom he brought to South Africa to see the Bushveld and make the drawings on the spot.The book appeared in 1907 and had an enthusiastic reception, being reprinted four times in that year. It has remained a firm favorite in South Africa over the years. It has also been widely read abroad and was published in different forms and in many languages.
CONSERVATION AT JOCK SAFARI LODGE
Conservation is the cornerstone of the Jock Safari Lodge ethos. Both lodges have been built and managed to the most stringent eco-management criteria in South Africa, audited by the KNP and the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism on a bi-annual basis. For the Jock team, it is all about protecting the environment, flora and fauna for future generations to enjoy. Off-road driving on this private concession is permitted for predator sightings. This is, however,done in an environmentally sensible manner, as tyre damage to the veld can take up to two years to repair. Jock Safari Lodge is 100% committed to maintaining a low ecological footprint,so a to remain true to the overall conservation ethos of the Caleo Foundation.
The Kruger National Park(KNP)is unrivaled in the diversity of its life forms and a world leader in advanced environmental management techniques and policies.It is home to an impressive 404 tree-, 53 fish-, 35 amphibian-, 118 reptile-, 505 bird-and 148 mammal species! The first explorer to set foot in the region was the Dutchman, Francois de Cuiper, who led a Dutch East India Company exploration expedition.
Voortrekker expeditions in 1938, led by Louis Trichardt and Hans van Rensburg, successfully establish forward outposts. Hundreds of Europeans and farmers came to the Lowveld, lured by rumors of gold, ivory and skins, which led to a huge decrease in animal numbers due to poaching.President Paul Kruger was informed about the rapid destruction of wildlife in the area by hunters and he succeeded in persuading the Transvaal Parliament to establish a protected area for the wildlife in the Lowveld region. The “Sabie Game Reserve”, which is now the southern part of the KNP, was established in 1898,and is bordered by the Crocodile River in the south, the Sabie River in the north, the Lebombo Mountains in the east and the Drakensberg Mountains in the west. These reserves would eventually expand into today’s iconic Kruger National Park.The Anglo-Boer War halted any further development of the reserve, but the British, after winning the war, proceeded to develop the Sabie Game Reserve in 1902,and gave the task to Major James Stevenson-Hamilton to protect the animals against hunters and farmers. The park was opened to the public in 1927.He became the parks’ first warden, spending the next 40 years protecting and rehabilitating what the war had destroyed and subsequently acquired another 10,000ha for the reserve.
After World War I, the KNP was protected by the government of South Africa and the first ranger was Paul Bester. We are incredibly honored to be custodians of this land and to be able to share it with our guests in the most sustainable way possible. When you leave Jock, you will be sure to have a newfound appreciation, and respect, for Mother Nature.Kruger Jock Safari Lodge is actively involved with numerous conservation and research projects of rare and endangered species such as: black and white rhino, lion, wild dog, Marshall eagle and the ground hornbill. More recently, Jock Safari Lodge was thrilled to be a part of a demographic research study,in conjunction with the Kruger National Park,into the impact of bovine tuberculosis on lion populations.
Jock Safari Lodge’s elegant design and tranquil ambiance make it the perfect destination for a getaway.
Included5 Star AccommodationAirport TransfersBreakfastEntry FeesFlightsMealsPersonal Safari GuideSpa treatments and LaundryTelephoneWifi
Not IncludedBoutique purchasesDeparture TaxesPremium Brands and Cellar wines
Kruger National Park, Southern Region, Near Skukuza, 1351
Inclusions and exclusionsRates Include:
Facilities and Amenities at Jock Safari Fitzpatrick's Lodge
|Description of Facilities / Amenities||Jock Safari Lodge - Fitzpatrick's|
|Number of suites||3|
|Back up Electricity||Yes|
|Children||Yes 0 years +|
|Full bar facilities||Yes|
|Rock Swimming Pool||Yes|
|Safes in suite||Yes|
|Tea/Coffee Making Facilities (Nespresso machines)||Yes|
|DELUXE, PRESIDENTIAL AND LUXURY SUITES – ADDITIONAL FACILITIES|
|King Size Beds||Yes|
|Rock Swimming Pool||Yes|
JOCK SAFARI FITZPATRICK'S LODGE MAIN LODGE ENRICHING EXPERIENCESAn intimate Kruger Safari Lodge on the edge of the Biyamiti Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is the perfect haven for small groups, families and individuals seeking to unwind amidst the natural beauty of the Kruger National Park. The lodge offers three perfectly appointed rooms that also cater for children. Guests can soak up the African sun next to their private pool while appreciating the sounds of the wilderness.Fitzpatrick’s at Jock is child-friendly and offers the Kids on Safari program to encourage educational and recreational wildlife activities. Child-minding services are available. Children are also treated to game drives and a range of other wildlife activities. Guests can also take time out to relax at the Pilgrim’s Rest Relaxation Retreat.
KIDS ON SAFARI AT FITZPATRICK’S AT JOCKFitzpatrick’s at Jock is a 3-room stand-alone lodge offering families personal service in an intimate atmosphere. Upon arrival the host and/or ranger will discuss activity options with the family taking the family’s size, children’s ages and the weather into consideration. Child-minding is available at an additional cost. Each child will receive a gift pack containing small gifts, most of which they can use during their stay at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock. Outdoor Kids Activities
- A visit the Stevenson Hamilton Museum in Skukuza
- En-route to and from Skukuza, they will enjoy a game drive (in a closed vehicle) which will stop at a number of lookout points where refreshments can be enjoyed
- Junior ranger training while on kiddies drive
- Night walk within the camp
- A selection of arts, crafts and games, including a play-dough session.
- Mini chefs
- A selection of entertaining and educational children’s books
- All swimming activities must be supervised by parents at all times.
- Game drives for children younger than 6 are conducted in closed vehicles as per rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park.
- Child-minding services must be arranged with reservations,prior to arrival at an additional cost.
- Children must bring good walking shoes, a hat and sunscreen, as well as allergy medication.
GAME DRIVESInteractive game drives, lasting up to 3 hours, take place in the tranquil moods of sunrise and sunset. You are guided by your game ranger in an open game viewing vehicle and you are asked to share any particular interests with your ranger who will try to incorporate these into your game drive. On game drive guests will enjoy a sundowner drink at sunset and coffee/tea at sunrise. No persons under the age of 6 years are permitted to join game drives. Children from 4 years up to and including 6 years of age will enjoy game drives in a closed vehicle.
GUIDED GAME / NATURE WALKSQualified walking guides provide the opportunity for guests to experience the excitement of approaching species on foot. No persons under the age of 12 years are permitted to join the game walks. Kindly ensure to request this activity at the time of booking accommodation as nature walks are subject to the availability of qualified guides.
RELAXATION RETREATSVarious treatments can be enjoyed at our Relaxation Retreats which are situated at the main lodge (Main Jock). Treatments can be booked prior to arrival with reservations
BIRD WATCHINGAvid bird watchers can prepare for a feast of the senses at Imbali. With a wealth of recorded species,it truly is a birder’s paradise.This pristine wilderness is home to more than 500 species, of which many occur in the Mluwati Concession, such as the southern yellow-billed hornbill, crested barbet and Burchell’s glossy starling, just to name a few.
GOLFExclusive access to Leopard Creek Golf Club is available at an additional cost and can be booked with accommodation.
Jock Safari Lodge Fitzpatrick's Lodge Rates 2019
VALIDITY PERIOD 01 JANUARY – 31 DECEMBER 2019
|Jock Safari Lodge - Fitzpatrick's Lodge||Rates and Tariffs|
|Adult | daily sharing rate||ZAR8 960|
|Children from 0 up to and including 5 years old||Accommodated at 25% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults|
|Children from 6 up to and including 11 years old||Accommodated at 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults|
Rate InclusionsRates quoted for Jock Safari Lodge includes lunch, dinner, breakfast, two game drives, guided walks, tea, coffee, water, game-drive beverages, tourism levy and 15% VAT. (All other beverages are excluded and can be settled upon departure). Families staying at Fitzpatrick’s Family Lodge will also have access to the Kids on Safari Program. All prices are quoted and invoiced in South African Rand (ZAR) on “per person per night” basis. All prices are subject to change without prior notice. Accommodation, three meals and selected beverages (soft drinks, water, beer, selected wines & spirits). Two game drives and VAT at 15%.
Children PolicyThis policy applies to all persons from 0 up to and including 11 years old.• Persons under the age of 16 years are not permitted on any walking safaris. Children staying at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock: Children from 0 up to-and including-5 years are only permitted at Fitzpatrick’s at Jock. Additional beds can accommodate a maximum of one child each OR two children per bunk bed (11 years or younger). Cots can accommodate a maximum of one child per cot. Child minding service is available upon request and can be arranged at an additional cost. Children from 0 up to and including 5 years old:-are accommodated at 25% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults –dependent on the availability of cots and/or additional bed.-are accommodated at 50% of the adult sharing rate when staying in their own room.-are permitted on game drives conducted within the Jock Safari Lodge Concession Children from 6 up to and including 11 years old:-are accommodated at 50% of the adult sharing rate when sharing a room with adults –dependent on the availability of rooms with additional bed.-are accommodated at full adult rate when staying in their own room.-are permitted on game drives.* Persons 12 years and older are considered adults and will therefore require their own room at the applicable rates. Children staying at Main Jock: Main Jock accommodate families with children from 6 years and older on the following basis: Applicable adult rate(s) will apply to children of all ages. A minimum of three rooms must be booked per family in order to ensure that the family has sole use of a game viewing vehicle.
Jock Safari Lodge Transfers / Gate Times
- Pleasenote: All visitors 18 years old, and above, must produce a positive identity document for scanning in order to gain access to the park. For non-South African visitors, visitors must produce passports but a South African driver’s license is also acceptable.
- Transfers to and from the concession can be arranged with reservations on request at an additional cost.
- Transfers to and from Skukuzu Airport can be arranged with reservations on request at an additional cost.
- Transfers between Jock Safari Lodge and Skukuza are done by Jock Safari Lodge in an open game viewing vehicle.
- Terms and Conditions relating to road transfers apply and are available on request/as addendum to this document.
- All road transfers are handled by accredited car hire and charter companies.
- All transfers must be arranged prior to arrival• Self-drive and road transfers from Kruger Mpumalanga Airport (KMIA/MQP) are subject to Kruger National Park gate times.
- The Kruger National Park prohibits the use of roads within the park once the gates are closed; therefore,guests need to be at their destination and transfer companies must be outside the park by the time the gates close.
- Jock Safari Lodge is approximately one (1) hour from the Malelane Gate and therefore we recommend that flights to / from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA/MQP) are booked to: -arrive at KMIA/MQP no later than 14h30 on day of arrival-depart from KMIA/MQP no earlier than 10h00 on day of departure No alternative arrangements can be made.
Reservations / Payments
- 25% Deposit will be required within 14 days of reservation being made.
- Balance will be required 60 days prior to arrival.
- Full pre-payment will be required at time of booking for reservations made within 60 daysof arrival. Cancellations Peak Season (15 December –11 January)
- Only written cancellations will be accepted; please ensure you receive an acknowledgment of cancellation from reservations.
- 50% of fee if cancellation is less than 60 days prior to arrival.
- 100% of fee if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to arrival.
- Only written cancellations will be accepted; please ensure you receive an acknowledgement of cancellation from reservations.
- 25% of fee if cancellation is less than 30 days prior to arrival.
- 50% of fee if cancellation is less than 15 days prior to arrival.
- 100% of fee if cancellation is less than 7 days prior to arrival.
JOCK SAFARI LODGE LOCATION & DIRECTIONSFrom Johannesburg
- Take the N12 national road to Witbank which becomes the N4.Follow the N4 through Mbombela (Nelspruit)and Malalane.
- About 2km outside Malalane, take the turn-off to enter the Kruger National Park at the Malelane Gate,where an entrance fee is payable. Please have your confirmation or voucher with you.
- Once through this gate, continue on the H3 road, for about 37km and turn left at the “Jock Safari Lodge” sign. A3 km dirt road will take you up to the lodge.Distance from Johannesburg: +/-458km.
- Note: The camp is situated half way between Skukuza and Malelane gates approximately 35 km in both directions with only 3 km of dirt road.
- Due to the rules and regulations of the Kruger National Park, nobody is allowed on any Kruger National Park roads during the period of gates being closed. Therefore, guests must be at their destination by the time the gates's close.
- Jock Safari Lodge is approximately 45 minutes to an hour from the Malelane Gate and therefore we recommend that flights to / from Kruger Mpumalanga Airport (KMIA/MQP) are booked to:•
- arrive before 14h30 on day of arrival•
- depart after 10h00 on day of departure
- GPS Co-ordinates
- Main Jock Lodge: S 25’ 13.059’ | E 031’ 33.850’•
- Fitzpatrick’s at Jock: S 25’ 13.490’ | E 031’ 34.007’
- Transfers Central Reservations are able to arrange your transfer by air or by road.
- Road transfers are done by an accredited company with the applicable liability and insurances in place. All transfers must be booked through the reservations department prior to arrival. Vehicles used for transfers might change due to availability, but will be similar in size Self-drive and road transfers from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA/MQP) are subject to Kruger National Park gate times. The Kruger National Park prohibits the use of roads within the park once the gates are closed; therefore, guests need to be at their destination and transfer companies must be outside the park by the time the gates close. Jock Safari Lodge is approximately one (1) hour from the Malelane Gate and therefore we recommend that flights to / from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA/MQP) are booked to:
- arrive at KMIA/MQP no later than 14h30 on day of arrival
- depart from KMIA/MQP no earlier than 10h00 on day of departure No alternative arrangements can be made.
- These transfers are done by Jock Safari Lodge in an open safari vehicle. Closed vehicles shall be used should an open vehicle not be available.
- 2018: ZAR 500.00 per person per way Payment Transfer charges will be added to the total booking value and is payable with accommodation. Cancellations 100% (Full) cancellation will be charged for all transfers cancelled within 48 hours of travelling.